This double braided ponytail looks tricky and complicated, but when disassembled, it’s surprisingly easy. The technique behind this look is one that I have already featured in several other tutorials and that is almost identical to the Woven Ponytail. It is actually a waterfall braid and French braid combined together and the only difference is the placement of the two braids. I love this hairstyle if I want to wear my hair in a ponytail but want to dress a bit. Once you get the hang of it, I think you’ll fall in love with me as much as I do.
If you already love this style, be sure to check out my previous tutorials using the same technique:
Bonus Dutch Braid versions:
Double Braided Ponytail Accessory:
Double braided ponytail Instructions:
- Step 1 / With a part on the right side, separate the hair from the part to the left ear.
- Step 2 / Tie the hair on the back to keep them out of the way.
- Step 3 / Split a 1 “hairline along the hairline and clip out of the way.
- Step 4 / Split the remaining front into two equal halves.
- Step 5 / Cut off the front section to start working on the back half.
- Step 6 / Take a 1 “strand of hair, next to the part, and split it into three pieces for a waterfall braid.
- Step 7 / Cross over the side strands one at a time over the middle, starting with the back strand.
- Step 8 / Next, cross the back strand over the middle and insert a strand of hair that will be incorporated into the crossed strand.
- Step 9 / Drop the front strand and place a section of hair directly underneath and cross over the middle part as a spare piece.
- Step 10 / Continue to braid the strand of hair, drop the front strand and bring in a new piece to create a vertical waterfall strand.
- Step 11 / Once the braid reaches the ear, continue a normal braid and tie it with a rubber band.
- Step 12 / Next, loosen the front area, previously fixed and create a French braid with the waterfall strands in the back section of the braid.
- Step 14 / Braid the hair to the ear, braid the rest to a regular braid and tie the end with an elastic band.
- Step 15 / Lower the back hair and sweep it into a low ponytail.
- Step 16 / Bring the braids into the ponytail and the 1 “section along the hairline, tie everything together with an elastic band.
- Step 17 / Carefully pull the hair over the hair band to create a little volume on the back of the crown.
- Step 18 / Take a piece of hair under the ponytail, wrap it around the hair band and attach it underneath with two hair clips giving an “x”.
- Step 19 / Grab a curling iron and roll the ends of the ponytail.
- Step 20 / Finish with a few drops of hair spray to hold on to everything.