Pick up your favorite style with a Dutch fishtail Mohawk braid. Whether you love half-up buns or a simpler ponytail, adding an accent braid can take your hairstyle to the next level. I love wearing this look everyday and once you get the basics for creating this braid you can wear it to fit your very own style. Whether you are adding a mini bun or big messy buns, this is a great technique to keep your beauty routine.
Dutch Fishtail Mohawk Braid Supplies:
- 2 haircut clips
- 1 hair tie
- 1-2 hairpins
- 1 headband
- hair spray
Dutch Fishtail Mohawk Braid Instructions:
- Step 1 / Start brushing the hair straight back from the hairline.
- Step 2 / Make a part on the left side of the head and trim the bottom hair.
- Step 3 / Then make a similar part on the right side and cut the bottom hair.
- Step 4 / Take a small section of hair at the hairline and divide it into three sections. Cross the right area under the middle. Then cross the left below the middle strand.
- Step 5 / Now combine the middle strand with the right strand and we will switch to a fishtail braid.
- Step 6 / Take a small section from the right side, tick below and paste it into the left side. Pick up a new piece of hair and cross it on the left side as well.
- Step 7 / Take a small piece from the left side, cross it to the right. Pick up a new section of hair and cross it on the right side.
- Step 8 / Make a Dutch fishtail braid, just go over the small section from the outer edge to the opposite side and bring in new strands of hair until the braid reaches the back of the crown.
- Step 9 / Braid a few more stitches of a fishtail braid, grab a comb and gently comb the end of the braid so it will not untangle.
- Step 10 / Go back and gently pull on the sides of the braid to make it wider and fuller.
Mini bread rolls Instructions:
- Step 1 / Place an elastic band over the fingers of the right hand.
- Step 2 / Take the end of the braid and grab it in the right hand.
- Step 3 / Use the left hand to pull the elastic band half way over the hair.
- Step 4 / Rotate the left hand under the section while twisting the elastic band.
- Step 5 / Release the left thumb and insert it into the elastic band.
- Step 6 / Grasp the base of the bun and wrap the elastic band over the top again.
- Step 7 / Then take the ends and sand them back into the elastic band to create another loop.
- Step 8 / Move the bun around and pin loose parts until you like what it looks like.
I love the edgy look of this style and I think it gives the half Bun a new kick.
- Step 1 / After finishing the braid, brush the rest of the hair into a high ponytail and tie it with a hair band.
- Step 2 / Remove a small piece of hair from the ponytail, wrap it around the hair band and attach it down with a hair clip.
I think that’s such a great style for sports, wearing in the gym or just to keep your hair up and out of the way.
High rolls Instructions:
Another great way to style this braid is with a messy knot and here’s my favorite method.
- Step 1 / Start by brushing hair upside down. Put a hair band over the fingers of the right hand and grab the ponytail with the same hand.
- Step 2 / With your left hand, pull the hair band over the ponytail until it is about halfway.
- Step 3 / Take your left thumb and place it under the ponytail, just below the hair band, grasp it with your thumb and forefinger to grab it in your left hand.
- Step 4 / With the remaining four fingers still holding the hair band, turn your hand down, turn the ponytail at the same time and bring your hand under the hair.
- Step 5 / Release your thumb, release your hair and press your thumb into the hair band.
- Step 6 / Turn your hand towards the base of the bun and grab the hair with that hand.
- Step 7 / Use the right hand to pull the hair band from the left hand and wrap it around the base of the bun. This creates the first two loops of the bun.
- Step 8 / Pull on the right knot to tighten the hair against the head.
- Step 9 / Take the remaining hair out of the bun and grind it back into the hair band to create the third loop of the bun.
- Step 10 / Smooth high flyer with hairspray and set the style.
Top knots are always a one-stop shop for me, so I love how this fishtail braid adds an extra edge to an otherwise basic hairstyle.