This extravagant French Braid Updo would be nice for the prom. If your prom is already over, it could also work as a style for a formal occasion, such as a wedding. I get many requests for bridal and bridal hairstyles at this time and I think that would work well for both of them. It starts as a French braid and then ends in a complicated looking bun. Once you break it down into the steps, though it’s easy to do. Wherever you decide to wear it, I would recommend giving it a few practice runs beforehand.
Look at these other prom inspired hairstyles while you look:
Fancy French Braid Updo
- Step 1 / Start with a part on the right side and cut off a section of hair from the top of the ears to the back of the head and cut off the top part.
- Step 2 / Wrap the bottom section in a bun, just outside the center to the right, and hold it with an elastic band in place. Then fix it with several hairpins.
- Step 3 / Lower the upper part and divide it in half.
- Step 4 / Pick up a hairline near the hairline on the heavy side of the part and divide it into two sections.
- Step 5 / Make a French braid and braid your hair diagonally to the knot in the neck.
- Step 6 / Once all hair is pulled in, place the braid over the top of the bun.
- Step 7 / Put the braid over the bun to secure it in place.
- Step 8 / Divide the tail of the braid in half.
- Step 9 / Rotate the ends in opposite directions around the bun and secure it in place.
- Step 10 / Spray the hair with hair spray and smooth out any overflights.