This Fancy Fishtail Braid updo was inspired by the Fancy French Braid Updo. I’ve recently received a few requests for prom and bridal inspired styles. But I like turning them myself and I think that would be perfect for any special occasion. This starts as a fishtail French plait, but large portions of hair are put in the braid to give a soft loose style. It looks a lot more complicated than it actually is and I think with a little practice you can easily master it. Wherever you decide to wear it, you will definitely look fabulous.
Check out these other prom and bridal inspired hairstyles:
- Wrapped Low Bun
- Soft Twisted Updo
- French Lace Braid Updo
Fantastic fishtail updo
- Step 1 / Create volume on the crown by picking up small horizontal slices and combing back the hair down. Slide a brush or comb over the top of the hair to smooth the top layer.
- Step 2 / Take a strand of hair over the right ear and split in half.
- Step 3 / Create a Fishtail French braid by crossing small sections of hair over the top and attaching it to the other half. Then you start to integrate hair into the braid.
- Step 4 / Braid the hair diagonally to the nape behind the left ear. Leave a little hair on the right side to cross the bun.
- Step 5 / When the braid reaches the neck, turn the tail of the braid towards and wrap it in a low bun, just outside the middle.
- Step 6 / Wrap the bun with a clear rubber band to secure the bun. Then slide some hairpins around the edges to anchor them to the head.
- Step 7 / Divide the remaining hair into three sections.
- Step 8 / Wrap the portion closest to the waistband around the bread roll and attach the end with a hairpin.
- Step 9 / Take the neck area closest to the bun, and wrap it over the top of the bun. Stick the hair on the edge of the bun; wrap the tail underneath and pin it down with hairpins.
- Step 10 / Take the remaining front part of the hair and wrap it over the top of the bun and set the edge firmly.
- Step 11 / Wrap the tail in a small rosette to beautify the top of the bun.
- Step 12 / Spray the style with hairspray and flatten any overflights.