Fishtail braids are some of my favorites. They take any hairstyle lightly and I love how this accented version can be casually worn or dressed for an event. Low-side buns are another of my favorites and so I decided the couple together to create this unique updo. I really wanted to get creative with this bun instead of designing it the way I did before. It’s a mix of messy and elegant, so I love how easily it can go from day to night, depending on what’s on your list.
Let me know what you think in the comments, and do not forget to tag me “#missysuehair” if you’re following that look!
Fishtail Accent Braid Updo Accessories:
- Tangle Ease Brush
- 2 clear elastic bands
- 10-12 hair pins
- Hold hair spray firmly
Fishtail Accent Braid Updo Instructions:
- Step 1 / Run a brush through the hair to remove any tangles before creating a deep part on the left side.
- Step 2 / Continue the part over the back of the head and tie the section on the right into a bun to work with later.
- Step 3 / Take a small piece of hair near the hairline and divide it into two pieces for the braid.
- Step 4 / Make the first stitch of a fishtail ribbon by cutting off a small piece from the right strand and crossing it to the left. Repeat this step with a small section from the left side.
- Step 5 / Continue to cross small strands of hair on the opposite side while also incorporating new strands of hair into the braid. This will create the French pigtail effect.
- Step 6 / Repeat the steps, braid all hair from this left side and then braid the rest into a regular fish tail or braid, before setting the end with an elastic band.
- Step 7 / Now lower the previously set hair on the right side.
- Step 8 / Combine it with the braid and tie it into a low ponytail that sits slightly behind the right ear.
- Step 9 / Take a small piece of hair off the ponytail and sand it directly over the headband.
- Step 10 / Pin the loop with a bobby pin.
- Step 11 / Create two more loops to form the base of the bun.
- Step 12 / Now take small strands of hair from your ponytail, twist and cross them over the loops and hang them around the edge of the bun.
- Step 13 / Continue twisting small sections and pinning until all the hair is integrated into the bun.
- Step 14 / Mist the style with a firm hairspray and curl all the pieces down to frame the face.