This hairstyle came from two different hairstyles. I loved the idea of a fishtail braid in mohawk, but the wrapped ponytail was a whole different story. Anyway, I love how everything came together in the end and that it’s a bit edgier than my typical tutorials. I changed my sweater after shooting to better match the mood, and I used this style to run errands. It was definitely fun to change my typical look for the day.
Fishtail Mohawk Ponytail Accessories:
- Paddle brush
- Light hold hairspray
- 1-2 hairpins
- Broad / fine tooth comb
- 1 plain elastic band
- Hold hair spray firmly
Fishtail Mohawk Ponytail Instructions:
Preparation: For this particular style, I started with clean, dry hair that I straightened with a flat iron. This helped to ensure that the braid sits on the smooth hair and also reduces the number of flyers during braiding.
- Step 1 / Brush through the hair to remove any tangles.
- Step 2 / Divide a small triangular section of hair at the corners of the forehead to about 3 “back from the hairline.
- Step 3 / Twist the section together and put it against the head, creating a small pompadour.
- Step 4 / Take a small piece of hair behind the pompadour section and divide it in half.
- Step 5 / Cross a small section from bottom right to left. Then a small section from the left, below right.
- Step 6 / Repeat the previous step and start to incorporate hair into each side of the braid.
- Step 7 / Continue to create a Dutch fishtail braid in the center of the back of the head by placing small sections of hair near the braid while leaving the hair on the right and left sides of the head.
- Step 8 / When the braid reaches the bottom of the ears, braid the rest of the section in a fishtail braid by crossing small sections underneath to the opposite side without installing any extra pieces.
- Step 9 / Use a wide / fine tooth comb to gently comb back the lower part of the braid so it will not be untangled.
- Step 10 / Take two strands of hair on both sides of the head, from the braid to the ears.
- Step 11 / Bring these two side parts to the back of the head and put the left side over the right side and cross over the braid.
- Step 12 / Then wrap the piece from the right side around all hair, underneath and to the right side of the head.
- Step 13 / Now do the same with the hair on the left side, wrap it counterclockwise around the hair and create a criss-cross pattern.
- Step 14 / Wrap each piece again around the ponytail so that they meet under the hair at the nape of the neck.
- Step 15 / Bind the two parts together with a transparent rubber band and pull it firmly against the head so that it remains secured throughout the day.
- Step 16 / Spray the hairstyle with solid hairspray and run your hand over the right and left sides to reduce excess hair and loose hair.