We go back to the basics and learn the classic Dutch fishtail braid. Fishtail braids can master one of the simplest braids, but also one of the most time consuming. This type of braid includes hair in both sides by crossing the underlying sections rather than the top, creating a “Dutch” braided effect over the traditional “French” version.
I did not get the names, but that’s how I remember the difference between the two. If you want to learn something, I’ll share two ways to wear it, so watch the video below and let me know which style suits you best!
How to Dutch Fishtail Braid:
- Step 1 / Start brushing the hair straight back from the hairline.
- Step 2 / Split a section on the top of the head and divide it into two equal parts.
- Step 3 / Take a small piece from the outer edge of the section on the right, tick below it and paste it into the section on the left.
- Step 4 / Split a small section from the outer edge on the left side, cross underneath and integrate it into the section on the right.
- Step 5 / Cross a small section from right to left. Then pick up a new section of hair from the right side of the head, cross it and add it to the left side.
- Step 6 / Cross a little bit from the left side to the right. Pick up a new section of hair from the left side of the head, cross it under the left part and insert it in the right half.
- Step 7 / Repeat steps 5 and 6 by crossing small sections under the other side and working hair into the braid until the braid reaches the neck and all hair is pulled in.
- Step 8 / Now weave the rest of the section down in a normal braid and cross small sections under the opposite side until you reach the ends.
- Step 9 / Tighten the braid with a clear rubber band.
- Step 10 / Gently pull on the edges of the braid to make it wider and fuller and smooth out any transitions with hairspray.
As for Dutch Fishtail Braid on the left:
- Step 1 / Start by creating a deep side panel on the left side of the head.
- Step 2 / Brush through the hair to remove any tangles and sweep all the hair over the left shoulder.
- Step 3 / Take a small slice of hair on the heavy side of the part and divide it into two equal parts.
- Step 4 / Alternately cross a small piece from each side below to the opposite side.
- Step 5 / Continue to cross small sections under the opposite sides while also incorporating new sections into the mesh.
- Step 6 / Braid the braid on the left side of the head and when you bring the hair along the right side of the braid, sweep it over the back of the head while maintaining the crown.
- Step 7 / Once all the hair has been put into the braid, continue a regular fishtail braid to the ends of the sections.
- Step 8 / Tie the braid with a transparent rubber band.
- Step 9 / Carefully loosen the sides of the braid to make it fuller.
- Step 10 / Set the style with hair spray and smooth out the overflights.