Have you ever seen the 5-strand braid and wanted to learn it? It’s really just a simple weaving of hair in an over-under pattern back and forth. Just follow these simple steps and you will soon be on your way to learning the sweet and complicated 5-strand braid!
1. Start by separating the hair into five strands.
2. Start on the right side, take the two farthest strands and cross the right side over the left side.
3. Drop the strand into your right hand and cross the strand in your left hand under the next strand on the left side.
4. Now drop the thread on the right side and cross the original strand over the next on the left side.
5. Then drop the right strand and cross the original strand below the next on the left.
Do you see the over, under, over method?
Now start the same steps, but work in the opposite direction towards the right side. I asked my model to hold our original strand (which is now the leftmost strand to keep it out of the way).
6. Keep the left-most piece out of the way, take the next two strands, and cross the strand to the left under the strand to the right.
7. Now cross the strand in your left side over the next strand on the right side.
8. Then cross the strand in your left under the farthest right strand.
9. Drop this strand (which is now the rightmost strand) and start working in the opposite direction by crossing the right strand under the left side of it.
10. Then cross the right strand over the next strand on the left side.
11. Now, cross the right strand under the next strand on the left side and continue weaving, over, under, over, until you reach the bottom of your hair.
12. Secure the end with a rubber band.
Sometimes braids are much easier to learn when watching a video. So if you are still a bit confused, try to look at it: