This stacked hairstyle can look difficult, but it’s actually pretty easy to do! If you already love a good fishtail braid and have mastered the Dutch braid, then this style will be cake. Not really! The two braids are created individually and then stacked on top of each other, hence the name! Wrap everything together in a messy knot or ponytail and you’re ready to go out the door.
I wore this hairstyle recently at the lake and it was so great because it kept the hair away from my neck and out of the way of grabby, little baby hands. I actually saw this hairstyle as two Dutch braids, but when I actually sat down to try it, I thought it would look cooler with a fishtail braid. If it turns out that similar styles have been done before, derp derp, but I hope this release will help to inspire a little more creativity for your own version!
Stacked fishtail + Dutch Braid Messy Bun
- Big sexy dry shampoo
- 3-4 clear rubber bands
- Fave 4 Style Stay Hairspray
- Step 1 / For extra texture and if your hair is due for a wash, sprinkle the roots with a little dry shampoo and mix it with your fingers.
- Step 2 / Divide a small section of hair from the angle of forehead to the top of the head in a triangular shape.
- Step 3 / Bind this section with a clear rubber band.
- Step 4 / Click and pull the hair lightly to create a little pompadour.
- Step 5 / Twist this small section of hair forward and tie the rest of the hair in a ponytail to keep it out of the way.
- Step 6 / Using the small pompadour section of the hair, create a fishtail braid by dividing the hair in half and crossing small sections across the top to the other side. Alternative sections until the entire piece is braided.
- Step 7 / Tighten the end with a clear rubber band.
- Step 8 / Clip this braid out of the way and leave the remaining hair.
- Step 9 / Make a Dutch braid over the back of your head by crossing the side panels under the middle and wearing the hair from the sides.
- Step 10 / When the braid reaches the neck, gently pull on the edges of the braid to make it wide and flat.
- Step 11 / Place the fishtail braid over the center of the braid and tie it at the nape of the neck.
- Step 12 / Remove the elastic band from the fishtail braid.
- Step 13 / Slide a hair clip into the center of the fishtail braid and into the Dutch braid to hold the two braids together. Repeat this 2-3 more times until it is safe.
- Step 14 / To finish the style as a ponytail, wrap a small piece of hair around the elastic band and pin the end with a hair clip.
- Step 15 / To make a messy bun, take a second elastic band, wrap it over the hair and create a loop. Then twist the rubber band, turn the hair at the same time and wrap the band over the hair again. Put the tails in the rubber band and fan them slightly. (The video tutorial for this bun can be found here.)
- Step 16 / Set the style with hairspray and straighten the flyaway.